Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Still Traveling

The long silence on this blog is an indication that I am still far from home and have very limited computer access. I have been in Alabama for a week now, staying at my grandmother's home with my mother. My wish for one more visit with Grand was not to be. She passed peacefully and without pain a few days before I arrived. I cut my conference time in San Antonio short in order to be present at the memorial and funeral in Franklin, Kentucky. My sense of loss at her death is so deep that I cannot begin to express it. In the week that I have been here, I have not felt at all like writing. Perhaps that will come.

I was here for her 94th birthday last July, and she was so vibrantly alive. The last photo I took of her was the one on this post and I just love it. It is so typical of how she lived life, with enthusiasm and laughter. Her final illness was swift and brief; she decided that it was time to go, and in five short days she simply withdrew her life force and was gone. She left us with wonderful memories that will never be forgotten.

I will be back in Bethel on Sunday night, after a brief stopover in Seattle to visit with Dad and Stepmom. New posts to come then...

Labels:

11 Comments:

Blogger Maggie Rosethorn said...

TPA - so sorry to hear about your grandmother's death. It's the toughest thing when we can't be there to say goodbye. My heart goes out to you in your loss. HUGS!!

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 2:29:00 PM  
Blogger RunninL8 said...

Oh, such a knot in my throat...
I'm so sorry you were not able to visit with your grandma before she passed. I do believe that SHE knows everything you may have wanted to say to her-and how deeply you loved her. But it's so hard for US when we don't have the chance to express ourselves that one last time. I'm so glad that you have such wonderful memories and I hope you were able to share them with wonderful family and friends on your trip.
I hope your trip home goes well and that your heartache isn't too great. It WILL subside into a gentleness and those memories will lift you.
Love and light,
Dana

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:05:00 PM  
Blogger RunninL8 said...

Ok, and that picture of your grandma dancing with a great-grandaughter is PRECIOUS!
May we ALL be dancin' on our 94th!!!

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:08:00 PM  
Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

May your grandmother's name be a blessing, and may you be comforted by your memories.

Sending you much love.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 3:57:00 PM  
Blogger Lin said...

I'm so very sorry for your loss.

Tuesday, June 03, 2008 10:46:00 PM  
Blogger Omnibabe said...

How lucky you are to have had her for so long! I'm deeply sorry for your loss.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger Lisabeth and Jeff said...

safe journey home tundra pa. im very sorry for your loss.

Wednesday, June 04, 2008 9:30:00 PM  
Blogger Komulainen Family said...

My deepest condolences Tundra PA. Sorry for your loss...

Sunday, June 08, 2008 8:32:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry for your loss.

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 3:15:00 PM  
Blogger The Tundra PA said...

Thanks to everyone for your kind thoughts. I truly do appreciate them.

And Oz! CONGRATULATIONS!!

Tuesday, June 10, 2008 8:17:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks TPA :)

Blogs like yours helped keep me sane and focussed.

Take good care :)

Wednesday, June 11, 2008 4:12:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home