Monday, May 05, 2008

Happy Birthday, TMD!

Today is the two year blogiversary of Tundra Medicine Dreams! It amazes me to think that I have been writing this blog for two full years; it just doesn't seem that long. This makes the 234th post, which is about one every three days. Just recently the 100,000th reader visited.

Of all the posts I've written, the one that enduringly gets the most visitors--through Google searches--is the one on huffing. The search strings vary a bit, from "how do I get high on Axe deodorant?" to "how can I tell if my child is huffing?" Probably the second most popular is the post on breastfeeding, landed on invariably from a search on "oldest breastfed child." Interesting how much people want to know that (my answer: the oldest I have personally found was seven years old). Coming in third would be the post on diet and obesity among the Yupik Eskimo people.

Controversy has not had a high profile here, and subsequently I have not garnered a lot of comments. Most posts get only three or four. The big winner was the one time I hosted Grand Rounds, in September of 2006, which got 32 comments--most of which were "thanks for including my post." That was also my all-time high number of visitors in a single day, nearly 700 as I recall. Second place in the comment division went to the post on a village funeral with 18 comments. Even though I feel like an old-time blogger after two years, I still get a thrill when people take the time to leave a comment.

I started this blog out of a desire to share with people the breathtaking and sometimes subtle beauty of the Yukon Kuskokwim Delta, and the stirring and generous warmth of the Yupik people. It has been an enriching experience for me, and one that has brought me much joy. To those who have become regular readers of Tundra Medicine Dreams, thank you for sharing this journey with me. And to those who have left comments, quyana cak nek!

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger #1 Dinosaur said...

Happy Birthday, TMD, and a hearty Mazel Tov for upcoming events.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 2:25:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there - I've never posted a comment before either, but I love reading your blog - you describe the scenery and the people of Alaska in a way that almost feels like I've been there. It's a great morning escape from reality here at work. Down here in the lower states I think Alaska is just a dream to most people so you let us get a glimpse of that. I always wanted to try dog mushing and I get to do it vicariously through you. (My dog looks and runs just like one of those mutt looking sled dogs, LOVES snow, so I always call him my Iditarod doggie.) Alas that is a dream of mine that will stay so. It would be interesting if you would ever explain just how you happened to move up there after living elsewhere for so long. Sounds like you have a very rich life, so thanks for the insights and I especially wish you luck with your crazy local government problems!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 5:42:00 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

All us squirrels here on the Permafrost Ranch want to say congratulations on this birthday. Writing such a blog has to be a work of the heart.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 6:35:00 AM  
Blogger RunninL8 said...

Happy Blogiversary! I only just started reading it, but thanks for sharing! I'm hoping I can keep my own blogging a regular activity that will last!
I look foward to reading more!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 7:19:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday !!!

I enjoy each posting. Thank you for your educational, entertaining insight to life in Bethel. I have an Uncle that has lived in Bethel since WW2.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 7:25:00 AM  
Blogger Allen said...

Happy Blog Birthday!

GruntDoc

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 7:50:00 AM  
Blogger Lisa G said...

I left Alaska in 2000, but a little bit of my heart is still there. I really enjoy your blog, and wish you a happy, happy birthday!

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:16:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

happy anniversary! I live in Bethel but was referred here by a friend in Philadelphia over a year ago. I am always happy to see a new post from you.

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:38:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never left a comment before, but your posts always make me smile. Years ago I lived in Dillingham and your descriptions bring back sweet memories. Congratulations on the blogversary and I look forward to the next post and the next post and...

Tuesday, May 06, 2008 1:56:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary!

I just recently started reading your blog; it brings back memories of my time in Bethel, back in the day...good and bad ;)

I haven't been back to bethel since '92, but my husband works out there regularly; he's in Bethel tonight!

Stephanie, now in Eagle River

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 12:24:00 AM  
Blogger Maggie Rosethorn said...

Happy Blogaversery, TPA! I read you regularly, just don't comment a lot these days. But I always enjoy your posts.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 1:41:00 PM  
Blogger Ruth said...

Yours is still one of my favourite blogs. Hope you keep it up! Congratulations on your blogiversary.

Wednesday, May 07, 2008 5:39:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home